Sunday, September 4, 2011

Holy Haul! It's Urban Decay (pt.1)



Well ladies and gents, my Urban Decay package arrived a few days ago! Unfortunately I got a bit too excited and opened everything and had a little *play* time before I actually took any pictures..haha. what can I say, I was super excited! I must tell you, I didn't buy any of these products at full price. Everything was on sale. Most of these items were worth it, but I'm not sure how many I will be repurchasing at full price, because Urban Decay is incredibly outside of my price rage. Maybe if I buy one product at a time to replace them as I need them. I will be giving a review on each item and tell you which items I am definitely interested in repurchasing that I think is worth the money. I'm splitting this up into 2 posts, one for the eyeshadow and one for the kit that I got. This post is specifically for the Urban Bride kit which contains 6 items:

  • Urban Decay Primer Potion (original formula, full size: 11 ml, 0.37 fl oz.)
  • Razor Sharp Ultra-Definition Finishing Powder (travel size- 3.75 grams, 0.13 oz; full size is 12 grams, 0.42 oz.) 
  • Marshmallow Body Powder (travel size- 10 grams, 0.35 oz; full size is 22grams, 0.78 oz.)
  • Midnight Cowboy Lip Junkie (travel size- 3.6 ml, 0.12 fl oz.; full size is 10 ml, 0.34 oz.)
  • SuperCurl Mascara (travel size- 5.4 ml, 0.18 fl oz.; full size is 9 ml, .03 fl oz.)
  • All Nighter Setting Spray (travel size- 15 ml, 0.51 fl oz; Full size is 118 ml, 4 fl oz)



Review of each item:

Urban Decay Primer Potion- this was the whole reason I put out the money to try Urban Decay products. I have heard time, and time again, that this is the holy grail of eyeshadow primers. I had bought elf's eyelid primer for $1 to give it a try, while it DID help my eyeshadow last, it still didn't live up to my hopes. So I seen the sale at Urban Decay and jumped on it. I was originally just going to buy this and nothing else, but I seen it in this kit for only about 8 dollars more for everything so I decided it was a good way to try out some new products for not a whole lot of money. Well let me tell you, this product is WORTH IT! I would pay full price ($19) for this product alone. I can put my eyeshadow on in the morning before work, work an entire shift, come home and do my normal evening routine and by the time I get my shower at 10 or 11 at night, my eyeshadow still looks close to perfect. Now I can't compare this to other high end primers like 2 faced shadow insurance, but for what I need--this works amazing. Definitely a must buy, I will be repurchasing this!


Razor Sharp Ultra-Defining Finishing Powder- This product got a lot of raves on their website. I do NOT like the applicator puff thing that comes on it. It's basically attached and makes it difficult to use. They say you can remove it and just use the powder with a brush and it works magically, but I haven't tried that method. The product itself is quite nice. I'm not sure if it really helps with photographing or not, but I'm gonna give it a try. It is a finely milled powder so it buffs into the skin quite nicely. It does finish off the makeup nicely and creates a more flawless look. I must warn you that it can look cakey if you apply a bit too much, so be careful with that.  It retails at 30 dollars for the full size, honestly I'm not sure if I would be willing to pay that much for it even though you do get a little over twice as much as you get in the kit. It is a nice product, but I'm not sure if I will repurchase or not.

Marshmallow Body Powder- I wasn't looking to purchase this at all, but it came in the kit, so what the heck. I haven't really used this powder for anything yet. It does smell and taste like marshmallow ;). So if you have a partner, they might like that! It is very shimmery so I think it would be easy to get a bit too much shimmer if you aren't careful. I'm not really liking the puff that comes with it for application but perhaps with a brush you could get a more even layer on the skin. I'll have to mess around with this some more to see how I really feel about it. I really doubt I would repurchase this however at 29 bucks. Even though you get over twice the product in the full size, I'm not sure it's worth it. It's probably going to take me a year or 2 to use up this box because I don't think I'll use it too often. I'm glad it came in the kit for me to try, but I don't think I'll buy the full size.


Midnight Cowboy Lip Junkie- This is one of the best glosses I have ever used. The Formula is wonderful. It is a bit sticky but not uncomfortably and it lasts longer on my lips then most glosses do. I'm not a *huge* fan of this particular color alone, but it is nice over a lipstick for a sheer sparkle and shine. It has a sweet cupcakey smell, but it has a minty, tingly feel when you apply it to the lips. I'm not sure how well it works as a plumper as it claims to do. I already have pretty pouty lips so it's hard to tell if it made much of a difference in that department. The full size price is 19 dollars for a little over twice as much as I got for the travel size (which is quite small honestly). Even though this is a wonderful gloss, I'm not sure I'm ready to shell out 19 bucks for a full size. Maybe one day when I have some spare money, but I don't think it's a necessity for my make up collection right now.

Supercurl Mascara- Now I must start off with saying, this mascara is AMAZING. The formula is perfect. The website say, "Perfectly sculpted lashes get boost, seperation and tons of pretty curl, and they'll last all day". This is 100% true. I love love love this mascara. I'm having a hard time wrestling with the idea of spending 20 dollars on the full sized mascara, but boy is this stuff worth it! I have not curled my lashes any of the times I've used this mascara and my lashes actually look BETTER then when I do curl them! All I can say is WOW, I may have to bite the bullet and add this mascara to my permanent collection. (sorry forgot the pic, I'll add it soon!)

All Nighter Setting Spray- So I've heard a lot about this product (this and the primer potion were my first introductions to Urban Decay). I'm still not sure how I feel about this product. I've had days where I have used it, and days where I haven't..and I'm not sure if there is a difference. Most of the time I think there IS a difference, and my make up does last longer when I use it, but it could just be my imagination. My biggest issue is with keeping my foundation on and my eyeshadow on. And it does seem to help, but I'm not sure it's a holy grail item either. The full size version for $29, and a travel size (which is smaller then this one at 0.34 oz for $11 and is only available at www.sephora.com that I can find) if anything I might be willing to buy the one at sephora for $11 dollars, but I definitely wouldn't buy the full size from Urban Decay.

Well there you have it guys, out of this kit, I would absolutely buy the supercurl mascara, the primer potion, and possibly repurchase the gloss or finishing powder when/if my funds allow it. The other products aren't bad products, I just don't think I would get my money's worth out of them. But I hope you enjoyed my review, and definitely check out the Mascara and Primer Potion AMAZING product even for a little bit more money!! Thanks for reading guys, and remember, it's ok to be as crazy as the Mad Hatter sometimes!